The word "cheap" always sounds a bit negative. Most people prefer to use words like inexpensive or cheap as an alternative. Cheap has nothing to do with the fact that something has to be bad. If you have to live with your money, you will try to cook cheaply.
Inexpensive cooking starts with conscious shopping. (Photo by: © Eisenhans / fotolia.com)
Cooking on a minimal budget requires a little imagination, knowledge of the seasonal range of goods and a fine nose for the lowest prices . Cooking cheap is a real challenge!
Cooking cheap is not necessarily inferior!
The inconspicuous word cheap has a stale aftertaste . It is equated with inferior or unimaginative.
If you replace it with price-conscious or inexpensive, the matter is given a much more pleasing touch. It is no coincidence that interest in food, its origin and composition is steadily increasing.
And concepts such as clean eating speak to people from the heart with the claim regional, organic and seasonal . Dispensing with ready meals and processed foods with all kinds of additives for flavoring and preserving is also a step towards successful and affordable cooking.
What should you do without?
A stew is inexpensive, filling and tastes good for the whole family. (Photo by: © kab-vision / fotolia.com)
There are many ways to achieve your goal. Numerous obstacles, such as unbeatably cheap packet soups and convenience products with flavor enhancers, suggest that we can get full quickly and save a lot of time.
When taking a closer look at the labels with the ingredients, these helpers fall through the grid of healthy eating. They supply calories and do without vital vital substances.
Tips for cheap or cheap cooking
The following tips for trying out at home reveal how it can be done better and in a price-conscious manner. Savings factor guaranteed:
- How about picking apples, pears or plums yourself? As a result, more and more Austrian fruit growers are luring townspeople to the countryside. You can get strawberries, cherries and apricots for a small price and sometimes for free!
- Every vegetable, every fruit has its season. Those who stock up on a farmers market can live on it for a long time.
- Bargaining is worthwhile, especially when buying larger quantities . It depends on a try.
- Wild fruits are free. Mushrooms, berries and wild herbs enrich the domestic kitchen. But be careful: you have to know your way around to avoid being damaged.
- Not every vegetable is dewy. For example, a matt lettuce leaf with a hint of water and a fresh freshness in the fridge becomes crisp again and is perfectly suitable for consumption.
- Drying, freezing, waking, air drying and pickling are ancient household techniques that are being rediscovered. They relieve the budget and increase the food stocks at home.
- Simply cook in stock and keep half frozen. Saving "three for two" saves money when shopping and saves time, because the rule is: cook once and dine twice.
- The special offers in the supermarket are mandatory reading. There is always a nice piece of meat, sausages, offal or fish. And the top dogs of the domestic supplies of sugar, flour, potatoes, rice and pasta are added.
- Buy products that have been greatly reduced due to the expiration date in the supermarket, because it means " best before " and not "lethal from"!
- The frozen goods in the food market look forward to an occasional visit. Ice-cold treasures are usually offered cheaply before the end of the consumption period.
- Shortly before the end of work, (fresh) products are often cheaper again.
- Spices and herbs give simple soups and vegetable casseroles a new tongue. In addition, the fine ingredients are available for a narrow thaler. Browsing international cookbooks brings new input to your home.
These are just a few points with which you can save on shopping and cooking without sacrificing the quality of the dishes. It is up to you whether and which point you can implement. And yes, there are certainly many other tips and tricks on how to cook cheaply!
Tip: Shopping for groceries must also be planned. To do this, you should create a shopping list in order not to buy unnecessary items or to forget something. Furthermore, you should never go shopping hungry, because then products often end up in the shopping cart that you shouldn't actually have to buy.
The forest provides us with many edible fruits, berries and above all mushrooms for our own use. (Photo by: BalaguR / Depositphotos)
Why cooking cheap is worthwhile
- It relieves the household budget.
- It conserves resources and the environment.
- It trains the knowledge of the products and their versatile uses.
Cooking cheap is not magic
Anyone who pays attention to the price and origin of the products when shopping, lays the foundation for a healthy and varied diet.
Fresh asparagus in December always comes from distant countries and not only entails a high price. The CO2 trace of the flight goods is difficult to justify.
Clever minds use the oversupply of asparagus in the spring and freeze the wonderful delicacy after blanching.
In general, it is worth browsing through cookbooks. The chapters on the methods of preserving food are a valuable treasure and complement the numerous tricks of the grandmothers.