Cooking in the microwave
Most kitchens have a microwave. Permanently installed or bought afterwards, the microwave serves many people only as a device in which one defrosts or warms up something. Very few use the microwave for cooking. The microwave can be a full replacement for the stove.
Whole menus can be conjured up in a microwave. (Photo by: © Maksim Kostenko / fotolia.com)
Simply put, in a microwave, electrical current is converted into microwaves. This is done with the help of the so-called wave stirrer, because it distributes the waves evenly inside the device. In this way, the waves get into the food in the microwave.
All microwave ovens have different power levels:
- below 200 watts: thaw
- 200-300 watts: keep food warm
- 300-500 watts: warm up
- 500-800 watts: cook
- over 800 watts: heat liquids
Info: Cooking times in the microwave are significantly shorter . In this way, up to 80% energy and approx. 50% time can be saved compared to conventional cooking.
Tip: It is often / was said that radiation damage can occur when using the microwave. But this is completely wrong! The different power levels only serve to generate heat.
Do you have to have microwave dishes?
However, it does not always have to be microwave dishes, a normal plate also does.
There is a simple test to determine whether your own dishes are microwave-safe:
- Place the empty plate in the microwave for about 1 minute at maximum power.
- If the plate has the same temperature afterwards, it is suitable as a microwave oven.
- But if it gets hot, then it doesn't.
Plastic containers are perfect for cooking in the microwave, because the food to be cooked in them becomes evenly hot.
IMPORTANT: A microwave can take a lot, but not metal.
Info: Because porcelain tiny parts containing lead are porcelain vessels not ideal, because the lead prevents the food is completely hot.
If food is heated in the microwave, it should be covered, otherwise it will dry out. Only breaded meat can be dispensed with, which becomes mushy with a cover.
How do you cook in the microwave?
When cooking with the microwave, the power of 600 watts is sufficient. (Photo by: © Rostislav Sedlacek / fotolia.com)
In theory, everything can be prepared in the microwave, but some types of meat, for example, do not become soft during the quick cooking process, but tough.
- Cooking meat in the microwave is quick and, above all, healthy. Pork and poultry, but also fish are perfect for the microwave and a juicy meatloaf only needs four to five minutes at 800 watts in the fast wave. Beef and game are classic braised beef and are tough in the microwave.
- So that the food gets a nice color, you should always sprinkle a little paprika powder over it.
- Please do not add water or fat in the microwave, it is better to stir a sauce separately afterwards.
- Microwave dishes should also not be salted, since salt removes moisture and the meat then dries out and becomes tough. You can then add salt after the cooking process.
- Vegetables are ideal for the microwave. The same applies here: do not salt and do not add water to vegetables that contain a lot of liquid, because they boil in their own juice. For vegetables with a small amount of liquid, one or two tablespoons of water or broth should be added. Potatoes need six to seven minutes in the microwave and broccoli only five minutes.
- If possible, an output of 800 watts should not be exceeded, otherwise the food will dry out and that is not the point.
Tips for cooking in the microwave:
- Cover thin slices of bacon with kitchen paper and fry in the microwave for 4-5 minutes at 800-1000 watts.
- Roast nuts or almonds in a plate and roast at about 800 watts for 1-2 minutes, then stir and microwave again for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk 2 eggs into a cup, stir in any spices, ham and cheese and then microwave at 800 watts for 1-2 minutes - the frittata is ready .
- Fill a bowl with water up to half, beat in an egg and put in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes at 800 watts - the poached egg is done .
- Brush the corn on the cob with butter and use it in the microwave at 800 watts for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut thin vegetable slices (carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.) or fruit slices (apple, pears, etc.), spread them on a plate with baking paper, drizzle with a little oil and microwave for 3-5 minutes - the chips are ready .
Our recipe tips:
- Microwave cake
- Rice pudding from the microwave
- Microwave herb chips
- Apple sauce from the microwave
- Microwave brownie
- Nutella cup cake
- more microwave recipes