Vorarlberg - regional specialties
Vorarlberg offers special delicacies and most of them consist of or contain cheese. Therefore, you can find the perfect mix of traditional dishes and newly created dishes in this state. In this article you will find the typical recipes of pre-Albergian cuisine - for cooking and some general information about the various delicacies.
Vorarlberg not only impresses with its mountain worlds but also has a lot to offer in terms of cuisine.
General information about the Vorarlberg kitchen
This kitchen (Alemannic cuisine) is unique in its form (many dishes are distinctive in their preparation) and offers various varied specialties.
Some typical dishes from Vorarlberg are:
- various cheese products (Käsknöpfle, Käsespätzle)
- the Krutspätzle
- the Käsdönnala (cheese shop)
- Flädlesuppe (fried soup)
- Apple pie
- Montafon cream cheese soup
- various meat dishes (such as Montafon deer or rather rare, but the Montafon beef is very famous)
- various schnapps (the classic Vorarlberg pear schnapps)
- spinach spaetzle
- liver spaetzle
- various types of "Nüdele" (sliced pasta)
Influences on pre-Alpine cuisine
The kitchen of this state has different origins and these are:
- the influences from the classic mountain farmer's kitchen (milk and cattle farming) - therefore cheese and cheese products play a major role in the kitchen.
- the influences due to the proximity to the neighboring countries (Switzerland and Germany).
Some recipes for the typical, pre-alpine cuisine
The classic cheese spaetzle from Vorarlberg is hearty and super delicious. (Photo by: manams / Depositphotos)
The Vorarlberg cheese soup
This dish consists of butter (1 teaspoon), 1 tablespoon of fine flour, 1/4 liter of milk, chives, two to three slices of cheese, a stock cube, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- The butter and cheese should be melted.
- Then you should add the flour and brown these ingredients over low heat.
- Then add the milk and stir with a whisk until it boils.
- Then the soup should be seasoned and refined with cutting.
Puff pastry or bread are particularly suitable as a side dish.
This dish requires 1500 g of roast fawn, salt, pepper, marjoram and 500 g of potatoes.
- The meat should be seasoned (salt, pepper and rub with marjoram) - then you fry it (with the bones) in hot fat and then place it with water and salt in the preheated oven (the fawn should not be roasted too much) .
- Then cut the potatoes into slices and add them to the meat (fry until the meat and potatoes are finished or tender at the same time).
This dish should be served with a mixed salad - for the Gitzibraten recipe.
For this traditional dish, you use a spoonful of pork fat, 1 spoonful of flour, 1 kilo of potatoes, 10 dag of bacon, water, plenty of parsley, salt, nutmeg, caraway seeds, butter and onion (for desalination).
- The flour should be roasted in pork fat (light brown).
- Then peel the potatoes (cut large cubes) and cut the bacon (cubed).
- The flour, potatoes and bacon are mixed (toast briefly) and then this mixture is poured with water.
- After this process, everything is seasoned and allowed to cook slowly (potatoes should be soft).
- The onion should be finely chopped (mix with ½ teaspoon of flour) and then roast in butter until golden brown.
- This mixture serves as a rounding off and is given over the finished dish.
The "Schabo whole" is served with green salad - for the Vorarlberg Schabo recipe.
The Vorarlberg sausage dumplings
For these dumplings you need 200 g veal sausage meat (raw sausage fill), 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of cream, salt, white pepper, a little cayenne pepper, a little chopped parsley, 1 stale bread roll (soaked and squeezed out), 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 ¼ liter of beef or vegetable soup.
- The ingredients are mixed (put in the blender and let knead well) - then leave the mixture to rest for about 30 minutes and form small dumplings.
- These should be allowed to steep in the hot soup for about 8 to 10 minutes - for the Vorarlberg sausage dumpling recipe.
Other special recipes are:
The Lake Constance pikeperch in foil
For this dish you need a Lake Constance pikeperch, lemon juice, salt, basil leaves, pepper, chard, diced tomatoes and sour cream. The pikeperch is traditionally served in the hot foil - with the Bodensee pikeperch recipe.
The onion and bacon cake
Such a cake consists of puff pastry, bacon, onions, leeks, butter, flour, milk, eggs, curd cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and chives. This cake is very hearty and can be used as a main course.
The Käsknöpfle forests
For such a dish you need flour (700), eggs, onions, butter, milk, salt, pepper and grated cheese (mild Bregenzerwald Emmentaler, Bregenzerwald mountain cheese and Räskäse full fat). The Käsknöpfle can be served with potato salad (with a lot of chives) - for the forest cheese recipe.
The Cheese Fluta
This dish consists of milk water (half milk, half water), butter, corn grits, Emmentaler or Rheintaler cheese and salt - for the cheese plum recipe.
The Vorarlberg Riebelgrie
For this you need ground semolina (wheat semolina), milk, butter and sugar. This dish is traditionally served with apple sauce or with apple compote - Vorarlberger Riebelgrieß recipe.
Spirits from Vorarlberg
For many, a schnapps is part of the end of a typical meal in Vorarlberg . Especially high-proof from the local orchards make the hearts of schnapps fans beat faster. Known above all are the Fraxner Kirschs (Kriasiwasser) a 45% cherry schnapps or also the fine brandies Subirer (fruit pear) and Husbirer (white or white pear).
Vorarlberg offers many delicacies that were influenced by Switzerland. Therefore, you will find many traditional dishes that often contain a lot of cheese. In Vorarlberg you can also try and enjoy a good mix of traditional dishes and modern dishes.