Carinthia - regional specialties
In this state, not only the various lakes are worth seeing, but also the Carinthian cuisine is worth trying. This generally consists of cereals, dairy products and meat and was mainly characterized by its proximity to Italy and Slovenia. In this article you will find recipes and various information about the cuisine of Carinthia.
Carinthia is not only known for its many lakes, but also for its cuisine.
General information about the Carinthian cuisine
The various dishes mainly consist of cereals, dairy products and meat and in general this cuisine is very multifaceted and diverse (there is something for every taste).
Some typical dishes from Carinthia are:
- Carinthian pasta
- Carinthian Schlickkrapferln
- Carinthian church soup
- Gailtaler Holzknechtfrigga
- Carinthian Reindling
- the must (from St. Paul and Villach)
- the Carinthian Kletznudeln and the Kärntner Fleischnudeln.
Info: Particularly noteworthy are the Carinthian Kasnudeln - they are traded and revered as a national dish in Carinthia or the Carinthian Reindling.
The Carinthian cuisine was strongly influenced by the countries of Italy and Slovenia and therefore you can find various dishes in it that are very similar to those from these neighboring countries.
In general, the Carinthian cuisine is more down-to-earth, hearty and traditional and the origin of most cooking recipes can be found in the typical farmer's kitchen (in the past, this region usually only consumed the foods that the country produced).
Some recipes for typical Carinthian cuisine
Carinthian church soup
This dish consists of lean beef (250 g), sheep meat (250 g), ¼ soup chicken, 50 g each of spleen and liver, some bones, 1 ½ liters of water, roots (100 g), a small onion, peppercorns, cloves, saffron, a sage leaf, ginger, basil, salt, ¼ sour cream, a yolk, a tablespoon of flour, a dash of white wine and approx. 100 g bread cubes (toasted).
- The different types of meat should be cooked slowly with cold water (plus spices and root system) (until the meat is soft), then you take it out of the water and cut it open.
- The sour cream, the yolk and the flour are mixed together and boiled down in the soup (this should be strained beforehand). After this process, the meat is added to the soup again.
- It tastes best when you roast bread cubes and add them to the soup - the church soup can be refined with wine.
Gailtal church day roast
For this roast you need half a kilo of veal or sheep's meat (or pork breast), a teaspoon of salt, two tablespoons of fat, basil (1/4 teaspoon), sage (1/4 teaspoon), tarragon (1/4 teaspoon), Lemon balm (1/4 teaspoon), water and ¼ sour cream. The filling consists of boiled beef (400 g), a boiled pork tongue, spleen (50 g), black bread (50 g), an egg, garlic, parsley and basil.
- You should cut the meat or brisket into four equal pieces (apart, finger-thick).
- Then these pieces are salted and coated with the fullness (roll up and stick together with a toothpick, for example).
- After this process, the meat rolls are fried in hot fat.
- Then add water (pour on and even steam) and the remaining juice is refined with the sour cream.
First, make a grated dough: this consists of flour (200 g), half a teaspoon of salt, an egg, two tablespoons of sweet cream, half a liter of milk, butter (100 g), grapes (100 g), sugar (50 g) and cinnamon.
- The flour, salt, egg and cream are mixed together and then the mixture is kneaded until a dough is formed.
- After this process, rub the dough into a coarse grater (or chop it finely with a knife and let everything dry out).
- In a saucepan, milk, salt and butter are boiled and then you stir in the grated dough and let this mixture evaporate over a low heat for an hour (covered) (after half an hour you should use a fork, half the sugar and the grapes) give below).
- When all the liquid has evaporated / evaporated, you can sprinkle the dish with sugar and cinnamon - a well-frothed milk coffee is particularly suitable for this.
The Carinthian pasta
This typical Carinthian dish consists of an abundance - this is made up of 500 g potatoes, 500 g curd cheese, a teaspoon of salt, mint (one teaspoon), chervil herb (one teaspoon), parsley (one teaspoon), leek (one teaspoon) and marjoram (a teaspoon).
- The herbs should be finely chopped, the potatoes boiled (peel hot) and pressed through.
- These are added to the other ingredients while still hot (knead the mixture well).
- When you are done with the dough you should form little balls out of it.
Other special recipes are:
The Mölltaler Kassuppn
This dish requires flour, an egg, salt, whey, caraway, sour cream and black bread slices. The soup is very hearty and it is best to use traditional black bread.
- to the Mölltaler Kassuppn recipe
The Carinthian roast pork
For the roast, you use a crunchy roast, salt, garlic, thyme, caraway and water. Boiled potatoes or sauerkraut go well with this dish.
- for the Carinthian roast pork recipe
The Lavanttaler Leberlan
For the time being, a yeast dough is made - this consists of wheat flour (300 g), yeast (20 g), half a teaspoon of salt and water or milk (1/8 liter). For the fullness, use 500 g of boiled beef (or pork), 100 g of raw liver, 30 g of fat, 50 g of onions, half a teaspoon of salt, basil (half a teaspoon), marjoram (half a teaspoon), a clove of garlic Pig net (or 50 g fat) - this dish is very hearty and hearty.
Our recipe recommendations
- Meat noodle
- Carinthian herb soup
- Carinthian Ritschert
- Strankerl goulash from Carinthia
- Carinthian Kletznudeln
- Grandma's flour ore
- other recipes from Carinthian cuisine
Not only the lakes and the beautiful landscape in Carinthia can inspire you, but also the various delicacies this state has to offer. Therefore, you should pay a visit to this region and feast extensively and let yourself be spoiled extensively by the various specialties.